Traditional, natural and homemade pure Khôl … unique in Qatar !
We import the Khôl stones from Saudi Arabia, they are soaked in water (zamzam) for 3 days (we change the water everyday). We leave them dry under the sun. We grind them by hand with a pestle and filter the powder several times to get rid of the minuscule remaining pieces.
This khôl is obtained by a very old and traditional way. It takes many days to get the fine powder we can use in our eyes.
This is the traditional way it was made in Qatar, Arabic countries and Asia. In India they may add some spices or flower powders inside too, but this one has no additive.
khôl is not only an eye liner but has so much more good benefits for your eyes, cleansing properties, control the sun’s glare, protecting the eyes…
What is khôl made of and its magical properties:
If Kohl is known as a cosmetic, it was first used for its medicinal properties. The Egyptians used it as eye drops to prevent and relieve eye infections, but also protect the eyes from strong refraction of light that is emitted by the desert sand. Applying khôl into the eyes can cure a minor eye infection.
Kohl is the ultimate makeup of the Berber, Arabic and Indian woman, it gives a deep and mysterious look. The Kohl is a very fine mineral powder obtained after grinding of antimony sulphide (ore mined mountainous rocks). Natural Kohl is dark grey, a shiny grey that can vary from grey to blue grey/green.
• Kohl is the source of kohl pencils. It will last longer than a conventional pencil.
• In addition to being a cosmetic product, kohl has cleansing properties: it protects the eyes of aggression (dust, light, wind) and is held above the kohl pencils and fat.
• Its blackness also controls the sun’s glare in the desert, and thus it is used by both men and women of the desert.
• If you have sore eyes due to wind or sun, you do not wear glasses, kohl make you great service. Notice that the American football players wear a black line underneath their eyes for the same purpose.
If your eyes burn from all the pollution or for any other reason, apply lightly at night before sleeping. Your eyes will water, washing away all the impurities in your eyes. You will feel a lot better. Khôl is also said to improve eyesight. When you apply khôl, it massages the underside of the eyeballs, which in turn results in better blood circulation and hence, better eye sight.
• Traditionally, kohl applied using a thin wooden stick called “mirwed”.
• Kohl is compatible with lens wear.
• If you have a wooden stick only : place the wooden stick in olive oil overnight so that it soaks into the wood. Skip this step for the steel sticks.
• Pick up the stick in right hand to apply to right eye. Dip tip of the stick into the kohl powder.
• Hold the stick parallel to eye, and starting at the inner point of the eye, run it between the eyelids actually touching the eye.
• Re-powder the stick, pick up in left hand and repeat on the other side.
• Note that the appearance of tears, the first time is quite normal, because due to the cleaning of the eyeball.
• The usual and regular practice of laying kohl will permanently settle this problem.
• Excess powder will gather at the corner of the eyes and you can remove it.
• It is much less artificial looking than painting a line outside the lids with commercial eyeliners; people will notice your eyes, but they won’t be quite sure why…
Homemade khôl is very dark, so one of the ways to use it is to put heavily on eyes at night before going to sleep, wash your face in the morning, the remaining khôl leaves a beautiful, natural tint on your eyes, which no makeup artist can replicate.
IMPORTANT: If you wear contact lenses you must apply kohl before inserting lenses (it might damage your contact lenses).
Khol Kit including 1 wood or steel container (depending on availibility) and stick – 1 bottle of Khol Powder in a steel box.
Ecological friendly – Paraben free – Silicone free
NO TESTED ON ANIMALS.